Sunday, January 23, 2011

The New Celebrities

So if you ever want to feel like an instant rock star, there's no better or faster way than teaching kindergarten in Korea.  They loooove their teachers.  Even their teachers' husbands.  Below are a group of drawings which formed the week-long shrine to "Ash-ah-ley" Teacher.  I (derek) even made it up there a few times.  This was for an art project to draw someone from another culture.  Of course as a 5 year old in Korea, you probably only know one.  It's really interesting to see how differently each student views their teacher.  Here are the best ones:

Here's Ashley as an artist wearing a tiara:

and here we are extremely excited and on T.V.:

Narae worked really hard on realism, surrounded by fireworks:

As explained by Sharon, here's Derek Teacher chasing Ashley Teacher because he loves her so much, but she's saying "no, no":

The heart butterflies are a wonderfully romantic touch:

 Here's Ashley drinking hot tea on a snowy day, painting a picture, as she does every day:


Not sure what's going on here, but Ashley's got a key to some really important box of lit candles, and Derek is interested too:

 And of course, here is Ashley, Archi, and his mom in the desert with a camel:

The wall of self-esteem:

4 comments:

  1. Archi's is my favorite! What a cutie!

    (Also, I realize I royally messed this up. For some reason I got it in my head that they were supposed to do a self-portrait, so I made my students draw pictures of themselves. I was mean about it, even. There were some who wanted to draw pictures of other people, and I was just like, "Nope. it has to be YOU!" But those directions sure do say, "Draw people from different cultures." #Kindergartenteacherfail)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with your class and, re-in love with Ashley :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so adorable. I love children's artwork, as it is truly from the heart, and not contrived in order to grasp at a crowd for money or fame. Unless it is a grasp for teacher's pet:) I love the freshness, the brightness of color. They surely enjoyed that day. Don't you just LOVE art!!!???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dash - Computer challenged mom cannot seem to post unless she is anonymous, so that is my comment above. Love you guys, Mama

    ReplyDelete